4 Spousal Support Facts
Are you going through the divorce process and have questions? Check out these 4 spousal support facts, then give our Saratoga office a call.
1. Different Types of Spousal Maintenance
Under New York State Law we have two statues, the first is temporary spousal maintenance and is paid until the end of the divorce proceedings. The second order is post-judgment permanent spouse maintenance which provides maintenance after a judgement. I advise clients as a Saratoga Spousal Support Lawyer that Governor Cuomo is awaiting signature to order maintenance to be ordered pursuant to a formula which will contain a duration calculation.
2. Staying on Spouse’s Medical Insurance After Divorce
- A person’s eligibility for Health Insurance, as a spouse, will terminate upon a Divorce
- For a spouse that is concerned about the high cost of obtaining a Health Insurance plan of their own, they may consider drafting or creating a settlement where they remain separated, but not divorced
3. Mortgage Payments and Other Bills
- In some cases, one spouse will abandon those responsibilities financially, and it is up to the court to ensure that the status quo is maintained
- The court may direct the withdrawn spouse, or both spouses, to continue contributing to the household expenses
- The idea is to maintain the status quo, ensure equity and assets are maintained, make sure house bills are paid, and that debts are continued to be paid, up to date
4. Ex Not Paying Child Support or Spousal Maintenance
As a Saratoga Family Law Lawyer I often discuss with clients that their ex is not paying child support or spousal maintenance. I always recommend to my clients as a Saratoga Family Law Lawyer that we will take your ex to supreme court, file a violation against them, and enforce the terms of agreement.
If you have questions or concerns about these 4 spousal support facts in NYS, check out this article and contact our experienced Saratoga Spousal Support Lawyer.