Served A Summons Out of State

Were you served a summons out of state and are unable to appear in court? Watch this educational video by experienced Albany family law attorney Jennifer Sunderlin Morton to learn your options.

Download Our Free Divorce Guide

If you were served with a summons to appear in a New York state Family Court, but you live out of state or you cannot get to court on the appearance date on that summons, it is important that you contact the family court where the matter is scheduled to be held. You should, if you cannot attend, submit in writing to the court your explanation for why you cannot attend. In many cases, if you reside out of state or are a considerable distance away you can fill out a form, which is a request to appear telephonically in the appearance. However, you must provide written notice to the court.

Contact our law office immediately if you have been served with a summons to family court.  Our attorneys will fight for you and your rights.

Attorney Jennifer Sunderlin Morton is experienced in family law and can help you achieve your legal goals.  Check out her superb client reviews on Avvo.

At Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., P.C., we partner with clients to overcome personal and family problems that require legal remedies. We provide the knowledge and experience; you choose the direction you want to pursue. Our collaborative approach to case management allows you to regain a measure of control over seemingly insurmountable issues.

Jean M. Mahserjian, Esq., is a New York family law and divorce attorney in Albany, Saratoga, and the surrounding areas. For more than 20 years, Jean has maintained her capital region law firm, located on Route 9 in Clifton Park, New York. The practice encompasses all areas of family and matrimonial law, and an online uncontested divorce service.