What is the Difference Between Joint and Sole Custody in NYS?
- The types of custody that are relevant in every case are Legal Custody and Physical Custody
- Legal custody is decision-making authority for a child, and physical custody is where the child resides
- When you’re talking about Joint versus Sole Custody, you’re talking about Legal Custody
- Under Joint Custody, the parents need to agree upon major issues
- Under Sole Custody, the parent with Custody has authority to decide these matters
Out of Town Resources
These Buffalo divorce lawyers have a great educational website.